After a long day at work, I am always looking for something easy and light to make for dinner. I am certainly not shy about trying new things in the kitchen and am always making up recipes by combining some of my favorite foods. As a pescetarian, I don’t eat beef, pork or chicken, but I do eat some fish. And, I am always trying to perfect delicious and easy vegetarian recipes.
Eating less meat can help prevent cancer and improve your heart health. You don’t have to give up flavor! This dish is full of protein-rich quinoa and fresh veggies for the ultimate summer salad. If you haven’t had quinoa before, get ready to be hooked. This little grain has 22 grams of protein per dry cup and doesn’t leave you with the bloated feeling that you get from rice.
According to Mary Branom, registered dietitian at North Colorado Medical Center, “Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and contains iron, B-vitamins, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, vitamin E and fiber. It is a versatile grain and can be incorporated into many different recipes, even used for breakfast, lunch or dinner.”
Get creative in the kitchen and sub this recipe with some of your favorite vegetables. Serve as a side dish or main course. The fiber, protein and healthy fats from the quinoa and avocado make it super filling!
Serves two as a main course or four as a side dish.
- ½ c. dry rinsed quinoa
- ¾ c. chopped tomatoes
- ½ c. chopped onion
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. spicy brown mustard
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- First, toast your quinoa by putting it on high heat for a few minutes. Take it off when it starts smelling nutty.
- Add 1 cup of water to the quinoa, turn heat down to a simmer and let sit for about 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- While quinoa is cooking, cut up onion, tomatoes, cucumber and avocado into small bite size pieces and mix in a bowl.
- Make the dressing in a small airtight container add olive oil, lemon juice, brown mustard, garlic, salt and pepper. Seal with an airtight lid and vigorously shake. Adjust to taste.
- When the quinoa is done, let it cool, fluff with a fork and then mix with vegetables
- Toss prepared dressing with the quinoa and veggie mixture and enjoy!
If you are interested in learning more about the benefits of eating less meat you can visit Meatless Monday.
Cheers to getting creative in the kitchen!