Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium sweet potato (peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 medium turnip (peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup finely diced Italian parsley
- ¼ cup shredded reduced-fat Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large pot, place steamer filled with potatoes and turnips.
- Add 2 cups water, cover, and bring to boil.
- Steam until tender (about 15 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in small skillet, sauté onion and parsley in oil over medium heat (5 minutes).
- Mash tender potatoes and turnips with large fork in large bowl.
- Stir in onion, parsley and oil from pan.
- Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat baking dish with oil spray; add potato mixture, pressing down evenly.
- Top with cheese; broil for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.